`just slow it`....

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Wed Feb 7 23:36:35 UTC 2001

I was just reading a discussion about Java Swing performance and found that
slogan which reminded me on Squeak and Morphic.  Now where Morphic is the
default, is there any chance that it becomes significantly faster?

Squeak is dog-slow on my 440MHz SPARC (using Sunray terminals).  It's
barely acceptable on my PII400 at home.  Still, even Swing is faster.

Maybe it's not display performance. It might be the slight delay the system
needs to react to my input.  It might be the double (or tripple) buffering
of the UI?  Actually, as a user, I don't really care.  The UI is my
system.  And currently, it's not only ugly, but also slow.

So my question, is anybody working on speeding the stuff up?

As a side-note:  When trying out the FFIWin32 examples, I get 250 millions
of pixel per second. I don'T know but that seems to be quite fast.  Has
anybody thought about implementing a Win32Canvas to draw Morphic on (or a
UnixCanvas?) which would be implemented via FFI?  Would that work?  Or is
the overhead because of the FFI calls greater than the gain by using
Windows' optimized GDI functions?

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust \\ Truth Until Paradox