[UNIX][VM] patch page updated

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Tue Feb 13 20:53:47 UTC 2001

Lex,

first thank you for your answer!

Lex Spoon wrote:

> Stephan Rudlof <sr at evolgo.de> wrote:
> > >         - I've posted a fix for a bug that kept xshm from ever being used --
> > > doh!
> >
> > Does anybody knows an example, which shows better performance if -xshm is
> > used?
> > I haven't found one so far...
>
> If your VM has the bug, then indeed -xshm will make no difference.
> Once it's fixed, though, there should be a big difference in the
> simple "[Display forceToScreen] timeToRun".

Thank you for the hint!
I've gotten interesting results:

[Display forceToScreen] timeToRun
 139 140 140 "xshm"
 199 201 201 201 200 "without xshm"

[10 timesRepeat: [Display forceToScreen]] timeToRun
 2050 1859 1930 1819 "xshm"
 2004 2009 1995 "without xshm"

The difference in performance is visible for one "Display forceToScreen",
but it almost diminishes if just a simple loop is used...
So for applications where just a little bit ST is involved the X performance
doesn't seem to be the bottleneck (at least for my computer...).

Before I've made experiments with moving a Form around the screen with some
ST involved...

> > >         - A few small fixes are still on the page but not included in 3.0pre1:
> > > responding to keymap changes,
> >
> > > compiling without jitter,
> >
> > Jitter isn't existent under Linux:
> > - make install doesn't find j3;
> > - "0 tinyBenchmark" shows no difference between jitter switched on or off.
> >

> Well, not quite -- I believe it is actually available on Linux/ppc.

Now I remember ;-)

> But if
> you're on Linux/x86,

I am on Linux/x86. For me Linux has been a synonym for Linux/x86; but I have
to admit that this is only true for I bet > 90% of the Linux'es...

> then jitter isn't available, and "make install" will
> fail.

It's not so bad: It installs the squeak binary correctly, in spite of
failing the test for jitter which gives the error message.

Greetings,

Stephan

--
Stephan Rudlof (sr at evolgo.de)