[Win32] Preliminary 3.0 VM available

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Mon Feb 5 03:16:39 UTC 2001

Ned,

We have never aimed at being able to run newer images on older VMs
flawlessly. This is simply because certain improvements require a later VM
than others. The other way around is different - you should certainly be
able to run an old image on a new VM (and that is true for the VM that I
just put out). Even right now you can see that (as I wrote in a message
before) a 3.0 image really wants a 3.0 VM. It'll work on an older VM but not
without flaws. The same has been true for pretty much any prior Squeak
version that included some improvement to the VM. Bottom line is: Run the
latest VM and everything should be okay. Do not run a newer image on an
older VM if possible.

Cheers,
  - Andreas