Squeak/linux/iPaq display speed

Yoshiki Ohshima ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp
Wed Feb 21 00:46:02 UTC 2001

  Kevin,

  I happened to notice another performance issue on
Squeak/WinCE/iPaq.  When I attach the Compact Flash sleeve
to the unit and try to read/write data on the CF card, it is
somewhat slow, compared to the other performance tests.

  If you have the sleeve and a CF card (or PC-card) with at
least 1MB free space, and Linux on iPaq has a capability to
access the external card (I guess it does, but I can't check
it right now because handheld.org seems down), would you try
the following code on your unit?  With this, we can see it
is WinCE problem or not.  I don't know the path name to the
external CF card on Linux, so edit the 'pathList' variable
in the following if necessary.

---------------
"write test"
pathList _ #('' '\Storage Card\').
count _ 10.
data _ ByteArray new: 100000.
bpsWrite _ pathList collect: [:slot |
        testFile _ (FileStream newFileNamed: slot,
'junk.tmp') binary.
        t _ [count timesRepeat: [testFile nextPutAll: data]]
timeToRun.
        testFile close.
        ((count * data size) / (t / 1000.0)) asInteger].

"read test"
count _ 10.
data _ ByteArray new: 100000.
bpsRead _ pathList collect: [:slot |
        testFile _ (FileStream oldFileNamed: slot,
'junk.tmp') binary.
        t _ [count timesRepeat: [testFile next: data size
into: data]] timeToRun.
        testFile close.
        ((count * data size) / (t / 1000.0)) asInteger].

{bpsRead. bpsWrite}.

  On my iPaq (or precisely the iPaq I *had* here), they are:

     internal memory      write      6211180
     internal memory       read     28571428
     external card        write       465332
     external card         read      1267427