SystemTracer issue

Helge Horch Helge.Horch at munich.netsurf.de
Fri Feb 23 00:49:00 UTC 2001

At 12:56 22.02.2001 -0800, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>The another mystery is that occasionary a MethodContext
>which is an invocation of Semaphore>>waitTimeoutMSecs: cause
>out-of-bounds error.  Calliing "Delay shutDown" seems
>prevent it, but it has another side-effect...

That has puzzled me too recently (a concurrent stack access, I guessed),
and I also wrapped the tracing doit with Delay shutDown/startUp, but what
exactly is that "side effect" you mention?

Also, I see a dormant hiccup in #writeContext: at the line

    length _ BlockContext instSize + aContext basicSize.

where actually both MethodContexts and BlockContexts come
there.  Currently, their instSizes coincide (6).  My initial impulse would
be to replace it by

    length _ aContext class instSize + aContext basicSize.

But I currently have other problems with traced images (yes, the darn
#cannotReturn of the clamped sender context hits hard, and my mind boggles
looking at EmergencyEvaluators...).

Cheers,
Helge