[BUG] Low Space problem in 3.0 (and 3.1.3696)

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Tue Feb 27 06:30:30 UTC 2001

>> That is my experience also with VSE (I've been using it for almost 6 years).
>> One thing that VSE does that is really cool is that it returns a walkback
>> quickly (stack overflow)  when you have an infinite loop.  I don't have the
>> faintest idea how it does this, but I think Squeak could benefit greatly
>> from this.  Currently, if you accidentally code an infinite loop (e.g.
>> method A calling method B, which calls method A), Squeak goes off into
>> never-never land for a looooong time.  Then it reports low space.  If you
>> accidentally abandon or close this walkback, your image gets hosed (well it
>> hangs anyway).  I hate it when this happens!
>>
>> If one of you excellent VM / Interpreter gurus would care to improve this
>> behavior, I'd be very pleased!  :-)

This is not hard to do, and I agree that it is very valuable.  The first several ST's I worked on had just such a feature.  They watched the stack depth, and when it got greater than (I think) 50 you would get a message "I think you may be in an infinite loop".  You could proceed at that point and, each time you did, it would double the margin.  We might want to start with 100, but it is very rare that this happens, and we could have a preference or parameter setting to control it.

Of course you SHOULD be able to go 1000 deep if you wish, or 10000...

	- Dan