`just slow it`....

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Thu Feb 8 01:57:06 UTC 2001

>I was just reading a discussion about Java Swing performance and
>found that slogan which reminded me on Squeak and Morphic.  Now
>where Morphic is the default, is there any chance that it becomes
>significantly faster?

I have found Morphic to run more than adequately on very modest
machines.  The problems may well be architectural or closely related
to your VM.

>Squeak is dog-slow on my 440MHz SPARC (using Sunray terminals).

As I recall, the Sunrays rely on the network to display every pixel.
While the Sunrays are truly wonderful in regards (particularly the
capacity to copy images to plural terminals identified by smartcards.
they may not be ideally suited for or matched to the particular
manner with which your VM is redrawing the screen.  Does MVC work
substantially better through the sunray?

>It's barely acceptable on my PII400 at home.  Still, even Swing is faster.

This is not my experience on my PC or Mac machines -- Swing being
wholly unusable on all but the heftiest of my machines, and Morphic
working quite well on all of them.  I haven't used any Unix Squeaks
on a "full-time" basis anywhere, so I can't account for that here.