PNG on Mac was Squeak Morphs on the OS Desktop

C. Keith Ray ckeithray at home.com
Wed Feb 21 03:36:32 UTC 2001

[...]
>> ... as long as they don't have Macintoshes, which don't seem to understand
>> the .PNG format.
>>
>> Is there a solution for this, all you Mac users?
>>
>> I've tried to send .PNG files to my friend Steve who is a Mac user, but he
>> can't read them with anything. He can view them if they're inline images in a
>> web page, but his browsers won't display them by themselves (unlike .GIF or
>> .JPG files).
>
> I think I've used iCab and a PNG image I've FTPed down (exported out of
> pine).  I'm at work on a windows machine now, so I might be wrong, but I
> think this has worked for me.

PNG images work for me in Netscape 4.61, IExplorer 5, and iCab 2.4. Apple's
PictureViewer can open them for viewing. Photoshop 5 can open and edit them.
I'm using MacOS 9.0.4.

If you are using MacOS 8 or earlier on PowerPC, download the latest version
of QuickTime to get system support for PNG and a whole bunch of other image
formats.

My PNG files have finder type 'PNGf' and creator type 'ogle'.

----

C. Keith Ray
<http://homepage.mac.com/keithray/resume.html>