Squeak Stability

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Feb 8 18:14:53 UTC 2001

>| aProc |
>aProc := [
>	| i |
>	i := 0.
>	[true] whileTrue: [ i := i + 1 ]
>	] newProcess.
>aProc resume;
>	terminate;
>	resume.
>
>No walkback, just a total crash and exit of the VM. Unexpectedly quit
>with a type 2 error.
>
>Occurs in both 3.0a2 VM w/ 3.0 image and 2.8.4 VM w/ 2.8 image.
>
>Aaron
>
>Aaron Reichow                   :: "In essence, Smalltalk is a programming
>Twin Ports ACM Vice President   ::  language focused on human beings rather
>http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/ ::  than the computer." - Alan Knight

Ok, it crashes in the main interp loop.

		switch (currentBytecode) {
		case 0:
			/* pushReceiverVariableBytecode */
			/* begin fetchNextBytecode */
			currentBytecode = byteAt(++localIP);
			/* begin pushReceiverVariable: */
			/* begin internalPush: */
			longAtput(localSP += 4, longAt(((((char *)
receiver)) + 4) + ((0 & 15) << 2)));
			break;

localSP is bogus. I don't think this is a mac specific VM issue. It
could be a bug in the resume code, ie don't resume terminated
processes. Someone want to hunt for the bug?

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6