Bug in 3516addKitchenServer ?

Jesse Welton jwelton at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu
Wed Feb 7 16:39:01 UTC 2001

Bob Arning wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Feb 2001 16:37:39 +0100  Torsten.Bergmann at phaidros.com wrote:
> >There was a problem while updating my 3.0 image caused by Changeset
> >3516addKitchenServer
>
> Ah! If you are updating to 3516, then you are already into 3.1
> territory, but it sounds as if you first got a batch of 3.0 updates,
> including a duplicate of the server changes which would not work
> right the second time. So, until Dan can clarify this, my suggestion
> is:
>
> If you want a 3.0 image, download it and update through the end of
> 3.0, but do NOT advance the version.
>
> If you want a 3.1 image, download the 3.0 image and immediately
> advance the squeak version to 3.1alpha and get only the 3.1 updates.

I'm well aware of why this is happening.  I had an updated 3.0, and
decided I wanted to look at the 3.1 updates; so I copied the image and
updated it.  My point is that when someone with a 3.0 final image
wants to update to 3.1, that involves loading the 3.1 updates.  This
is the natural thing to do, and should not cause a walkback.

The walkback is, for the time being, marginally acceptable because 3.1
is strictly alpha.  When 3.1 is considered more stable, however, the
updates should be safe to load from an updated 3.0 image.

-Jesse