filestreams

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Thu Feb 22 03:41:42 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 21 February 2001 18:29, Mark A. Schwenk wrote:

> I'd like the extra flexibility. But I don't like legacy cruft growing and
> growing, such as the image having to deal with both fopen and open calls...

It doesn't, actually. Just use open and then fdopen (on unix-ish systems) or
CreateFile (on Win32 systems), etc.

Remember, it's probably only on Unix systems that open and fopen would be
used, anyhow. The other OS's have their own file creation and manipulation
routines that would make more sense to use directly, as is already done in
the Win32 port. Why add another layer (Unix stdio emulation) when it's not
necessary: we just need raw file services...

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com