[BUG][FIX][Slowdown] Add preference too slow (Symbol>>hashtoo slow)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Feb 21 05:49:38 UTC 2001

Doug Way <dway at riskmetrics.com> is widely believed to have written:

> I didn't really notice a speedup in the feel of browsers that Tim did, though.  At least, as a slow example, selecting the -- all -- category for the Morph class took about 0.5 seconds before the change, and 0.5 seconds after the change.  Nothing slowed down, though. :)
I imagine you probably have a faster machine than I do; my Acorn only
get 11mbc/s & 380ksends/s which is, for example, 1/4 what my powerbook
gets. However, it doesn't crash as often as MacOS, doesn't irritate as
much as linux, and doesn't add to M$'s coffers, so I keep on hacking
with it. Besides, it's immune to all those email, web and such viruses.

tim

"How many Ringworld Engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?" "Thirty. Hey, moving suns around isn't easy..."