`just slow it`....

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Thu Feb 8 01:02:00 UTC 2001

Stephan,

> Squeak is dog-slow on my 440MHz SPARC (using Sunray terminals).  It's
> barely acceptable on my PII400 at home.  Still, even Swing is faster.

What image and what VM are you using?!

> Maybe it's not display performance. It might be the slight
> delay the system needs to react to my input.

Are there any particular places where you feel it?!

> So my question, is anybody working on speeding the stuff up?

We can only speed up things if we know *what* is slow. Tallies would help.
Descriptions of operations that are slow would help. Basically *everything*
that goes beyound simply complaining would help ;-) But one thing you should
certainly check is if Squeak's display depth is set to that of your OS
display. In particular with the 3.0 image (defaults to 16bit) you may feel a
heavy penalty for running in 8bit OS depth.

Cheers,
  - Andreas