[SF][VM] SF for VMs: Phoenix out of ashes?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Feb 13 02:19:28 UTC 2001

In message <200102111639.LAA24480 at cleon.cc.gatech.edu>
          "Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:

> The general model of having a central maintainer and not having multiple
> cooks in the kitchen is fine.  However, it hurts when releases are far
> apart:
>
> 	1. Contributors duplicate a lot of work, both with each other and with
> the central maintainer.
>
> 	2. The central maintainers get a lot of patches that don't patch
> against their current code base.
One of the chief adantages I can see of a system such as SF is that it
mitigates against this problem:- if the (at least reasonably) latest
source is available, then anyone wanting to build on it can at least get
a diff between the version the started from and their result, then apply
that diff (logically, if not actually) to the latest version available
when they publish it. Thus the main maintainer gets suggestions based on
reasonably up to date code.

Of course, anyone who cares to spend the time can maintain an SF
database and it will be at least as up to date as the current situation.
I would happily keep my code available there, which would make all you
avid Acorn Squeak users happier :-)

tim
People who don't use computers are more sociable, reasonable, and ...
less twisted