Mac v3.0.2 VM

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Feb 6 22:34:34 UTC 2001

>Err, does this mean G3+ _only_ or not? I'm not hurt by this (Newer G4
>card - sweet!) but others may be, so clarification could be good.

>  > The readme is below.
>(snip)
>  >(k) Compiled for 750(G3) processor versus 603

The difference between a G3 and 603 compile on CW 5.3 seems to be how
instructions are sequenced. For a 603 it might do

pseudo code

loadregister 1,0,2  load register 1 from 2
storeregister 1,0,3 store register 1 into 3
loadregister 4,0,5  load register 4 from 5

But if you compile for G3 then it changes it to

loadregister 1,0,2  load register 1 from 2
loadregister 4,0,5  load register 4 from 5
storeregister 1,0,3 store register 1 into 3

Since the G3 may do both loads of register 1 and 4 at the same time,
versus stalling on the load/store register 1 sequence. I'm not sure
why the 603 optimizer is so stupid...

Note that the G3 might reorder the instructions on the fly too (I
think) RISC base CPUS are rather complex now...

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6