Plugin Installers

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Feb 25 19:17:28 UTC 2001

>Definitely not working. I gave NS 100MB of room and I got the same problem. It
>may be bogus; I was monitoring memory usage and it didn't appear to me that we
>actually ran out of RAM in Netscape when the error came up.
>
>Here's the .out transcript if it'll help:
>
>out of memory

On the mac the memory for the plugin is allocated from the system
heap. So altering the memory given for Netscape doesn't do anything.
Somewhere in the docs there should be a note to address this matter.
Then again I could alter the logic to allocate from the application
heap, and if this fails fall back to the system heap (make sense)

Since Squeak allocates a fixed block of memory before starting the
VM, and unlike other VM, doesn't adjust that block size you must of
course guess at what is a viable size. A too small of a guess and you
can't start the VM, too large and perhaps you can't start the VM.

This guessing is 20MB unless a hint is given. This hint is given in the

  EMBED tag

	type="application/x-Squeak-Source"
	ALIGN="CENTER"
	WIDTH="100%"
	HEIGHT="100%"

But I see the launch page doesn't have any hint. Hints take the form of:

memory="+5"   //Allocate 5MB more than image size
memory="*1.5" //Allocate 1.5 times image size
memory="15"  //Allocate 15MB

also
memory="15000000" give 15 million bytes

Other more exotic things like
memory="*2.0+15"  should also work (2x image size + 15MB)

Now I see that for loading it in IE 5.0 I get
	used		6,299,080 bytes (30.2%)
	free		14,555,208 bytes (69.8%)

Which seems a lot of free space, perhaps we should say memory="+5" Or
is 5MB enough? Full screen graphics at 32bits is 3 odd mb.

But I'd think you should have been able to get the plugin image up.
This seems to point to a problem.
Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6