[3.0] Project jumpToProject

Lantz Rowland lantz at aabysgallery.com
Fri Feb 9 08:40:23 UTC 2001

There seems to be an assumption that an OutOfTheBox image of Squeak must
open to the root of the Project hierarchy, when what we really require is
to have a virgin image open to a Project crafted for NewSqueakers.

Sending a jumpToProject message to Project is a great message to show to a
NewSqueaker, though the resulting list of named Projects is not quite as
good an example of Smalltalk symbols.

I would like to urge us to move the collection of projects up off the root
of the Project tree and give each Project a good name.  It would also be
great if every Project had at least one paragraph of description in their
preamble.

Having one Project such a PlayWithSqueak that is just a simple parent to
other projects is a good Squeak idiom to demonstrate to a NewSqueaker.

For example:

	RootSqueakProject
		myProjects
			myFirstMorphs
			myExperiments
		SqkCProjects
			NewSqueakers
				HelpWithSqueak
					PreferencesHelp
					SyntaxHelp
				PlayWithSqueak
					Alyce3dPlay
			TestPilotProjects
				SyntaxExperiments

		PublishedProjects
			DandelionHelp  " #smile "

Setting those NewSqueaker projects to unclosable and the SystemWindow they
contain to unclosable is also a good idea. When a NewSqueaker learns how to
change a Project or Window back to closable they also have a better
understanding of when they might not wish to close the Window..

Having one root project named myProjects is a good example of a limb for
the Squeaker to create their own projects.  I have always walked
NewSqueakers through creating this kind of project in the root project,
though it would be nice to streamline that process. After they entered
their personal root Project, and the wonderful world of Morphic, we would
open a simple change sorter and rename the ChangeSet to replace the prefix
'my' with their preferred set of initials. In their xxxProjects Project I
walk a NewSqueaker through creating and naming a Workspace and a
MorphicProject, showing them how to mark both of those as unclosable.

Cheers,
Lantz
--
   Lantz Rowland <lantz at aabysgallery.com>  PgpKey: 0x67E5DFA5