[BUG] 3.1 Alpha "recompile:from:" / UI suggestion

Serg Koren Serg at VisualNewt.com
Wed Feb 28 14:53:45 UTC 2001

This is on Mac OS 9.1 using the final 3.1 upgraded to alpha.

When it tries to recompile the updates into the image I get a
walkback stating that "isSeparator" is unknown and it finally gives
up in "recompile:from:".

Btw SqueakCentral...3.0 is VERY nice.   However, the main menus are
really poorly organized...especially after being used to the
minimalist 2.6-8 non Morphic variety.  The menus are very cluttered
and seem to lump things like updating the image into "help"  (yes I
know that's how it was under 2.6-8, I just don't feel it should be
under "help".)  This relates to the various threads throughout the
years about the newbie-experience with Squeak (I'm still a newbie).
Maybe some thought should be given to reorganizing the main menu(s)
into more logical (ok, maybe more expected (per Windows/Mac idioms)
of menu groupings (sorry about the Lispish-parens))   If menu items
were grouped in a more "standard" manner newbies (incl. me) wouldn't
be so put off/frustrated by the Squeak experience.  Maybe even give
the user a "menuEditor"  that would allow him/her/it to customize the
menus to suit.

Cheers and thanks,
Serg Koren
VisualNewt Software