Need for 68K Mac VM?

Georg Gollmann georg.gollmann at tuwien.ac.at
Tue Feb 13 08:35:45 UTC 2001

>Since I'm building 68K versions of the macintosh 3.0.x VM and
>occasionally having issues with that I thought I'd ask does anyone
>really use or want to use it on a 68K machine, or could one live
>with earlier versions, 2.6, 2.7 or 2.8, mm even 2.9?
>
>One noticeable difference in 3.0 is that Morphic is really really
>slow on a 68K machine.
>
>The 3.0.5 mac VM I have lurking DOES run on a 68K mac with System
>7.6.1, but does anyone care?
>
>Oh and lastly I do need a few folks that have 68K machines to alpha
>test... Seem some people who have done this in the past now no
>longer have old macs around.

I have just moved Squeak to my old PowerBook 180c at home to
interface with my Garmin eTrex. Works beautifully. While I don´t need
a newer version than 2.x I still have a IIsi (17MB) lurking in the
office for testing. I think newer versions for old machines are only
useful if they bring a marked speed improvement.

Georg
--
----
Dipl.Ing. Georg Gollmann                TU-Wien, Zentraler Informatikdienst
mail:gollmann at zid.tuwien.ac.at
http://macos.tuwien.ac.at/Gollmann.html