[Off track] Re: Zooming interface

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Feb 21 18:24:03 UTC 2001

> At 09:05 AM 2/21/01, Alan Kay wrote:

> >I also suspect that a very large percentage of kids going to college
> >these days concentrating on computers are much more interested in
> >vocational training for eventual jobs than in learning their field
I've noticed over the years that employers often pay lip service to
education, but really want children trained to be ready to work using
whatever tools they have at the time the child becomes an employee. The
logical twist that the tools in use could not have been predicted years
earlier seems to escape them. The only time employers generally want
_educated_ people is when they need to make massive changes in the work.
As soon as that change has ocurred they want merely trained people again
and try to pay less for it.

It's all part of he trend that has left us with a population that thinks
Windows, MacOS, KDe/Gnome etc are actually acceptable UIs, hat java is
new and exciting, and that everyone has a right to get rich overnight
after working for a whole six months on a startup.

tim

Useful random insult:- Team player...  No chance he'll develop a personality on his own.