`just slow it`....

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Thu Feb 8 12:36:01 UTC 2001

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:

> >I was just reading a discussion about Java Swing performance and
> >found that slogan which reminded me on Squeak and Morphic.  Now
> >where Morphic is the default, is there any chance that it becomes
> >significantly faster?
>
> I have found Morphic to run more than adequately on very modest
> machines.  The problems may well be architectural or closely related
> to your VM.

Well, me too, sorta. Not *very* modest machines. But certainly anything
>300mhz (and I suspect somewhat slower). I do have "slow downs" on
occasion but havn't pinned anything down (e.g., it could be background
processing, it could be perceptual acceleration :)).

> >Squeak is dog-slow on my 440MHz SPARC (using Sunray terminals).
>
> As I recall, the Sunrays rely on the network to display every pixel.
> While the Sunrays are truly wonderful in regards (particularly the
> capacity to copy images to plural terminals identified by smartcards.
> they may not be ideally suited for or matched to the particular
> manner with which your VM is redrawing the screen.  Does MVC work
> substantially better through the sunray?

I know some people report that using VNC rather than X to display over a
network can be substantially faster (given that VNC is designed to be a
pixel shipping protocal that's not surprising). I have no idea if this is
useful info for this case :)

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.