Delete key and two-button mouse on Linux

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Mon Feb 19 22:15:01 UTC 2001

	> [Solaris nightmare snipped]

	Read the xmodmap man page again. xrdb is only used to set a new resource
	for xterms, which has nothing to do with the xmodmap call, or with Squeak.

Please have the courtesy to presume that your correspondent has read the
manual page carefully, and please try to think about the situation that
your correspondent has described.

The entire ***point*** of my part in this thread is that I want Squeak
and XTerms to be consistent.  Now it would be a very stupid thing to set
things up using xmodmap so that Squeak was affected and Xterms were not!
The fact remains:  anyone wanting to set up the Backspace key in a
*consistent* way has to run two commands, not one.

Of course the really stunning thing about this is that xmodmap is not
a GUI program!  If it were a GUI program where you could control the
effect of various keys by selecting key images in a picture of the
keyboard, rather like the KeyCaps desktop accessory in MacOs, then I'd
accept a claim that this was something you could expect non-X-hackers
to do.

	Oh well. At least it's now clear that Squeak is not responsible for "this
	mess".  You cannot blame Squeak for a misconfigured system.

What do you mean "misconfigured"?  I never said that my X system or anyone
else's X system was misconfigured, only that they *differ*, and that it
would be well if Squeak adapted automatically.

	As for novices, they really shouldn't be made responsible for
	cleaning up this mess.  That's the admins' job :)

No, the mess is the X Window System.  It is NOT the system administrators'
job to redesign X.  It *is* the job of people writing GUI programs that run
under X to be good neighbours.

By the way, I have not been successful in discovering what "resources" in
the X "resource database" Squeak is sensitive to.  Where should I be looking?