[updates] 25 more for 3.1

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Sun Feb 18 07:11:02 UTC 2001

... as follows ...

	- Dan
----------------------
3612removeUndeclared-raa -- Bob Arning -- 16 February 2001
Some recent Celeste changes left a method referencing a variable that no longer exists. I commented out the code and put a halt in to see if anyone is trying to use this (no senders in a normal image)"

3613MVCtweaks-hmm -- Hans-Martin Mosner <hmm at heeg.de> -- 9 February 2001
Update: Fixes indenting in Morphic as well, now.
Fixes 3 issues:
1. Selecting after the last blank in a line would not work if the blank crosses the right margin
2. Indenting was seriously broken
3. TextAction feedback would only highlight up to the next-to-last character in the range.
In addition, speeds up text display in a number of cases, and utilizes deferred updating in MVC to achieve much smoother displaying on slowish machines.
Here is some further clarification of the issues involved:
> 1. Tell me what 'Indenting was seriously broken' means so I can see for myself.
Ok, you see it when you display text that uses the TextIndent attribute. The following shows the effect both in MVC and in Morphic:
    indented := 'not indented\' withCRs asText,
    (Text string: 'indented 1\' withCRs attribute: (TextIndent tabs: 1)),
    (Text string: 'indented 2\' withCRs attribute: (TextIndent tabs: 2)).
    Clipboard clipboardText: indented.
Execute it, and paste the clipped text into a workspace. The TextIndent attribute should make the second and third line be indented by 1 or 2 tabs, respectively (if it would work correctly). Note that selecting text within the second and third line looks wrong, too (you can select past the line's end, for example)...
After the fixes are filed in, display and selection are exactly as intended.
> 2. Tell me how to run the tests in SCAN-Tests.st.
Execute (TestModel open) in MVC, or (TestModel openAsMorph) in Morphic. Run the tests. Without the fixes, 3 of the unit tests show test failures. With the fixes, all tests pass. Note that the unit tests do not cover all fixed situations; the indenting bit is only tested within the MVC environment (with Paragraph) and not with NewParagraph. But the problem was existent in NewParagraph as well (as you've seen with the indenting example) and is fixed, too.
> 3. Tell me what, if any, changes one would expect to see in Morphic.
For example, if you view a page containing bulleted lists in Scamper, these should be properly indented by now. Note that Scamper itself does not do a very good job at rendering these; they would look better if the bullets were moved to the left of the indented paragraphs, as other WWW browser do it. I have a fix for that, too, but did not include it because it is not really a fix for the mechanism.

3614fewerReleases-raa -- Bob Arning -- 16 February 2001
Removed a couple of senders of #releaseParagraph. The intent is to fix problems with entering text into flowed fields."

3615layerWithin-bob -- Bob Arning -- 16 February 2001
when adding morphs to front of a layer, consider only their layer number within the new owner"

3616customHaloFix-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 16 February 2001
Reenfranchises the editCustomHalos feature in the preferences panel."

3617suntaxBob1-raa -- Bob Arning -- 13 February 2001
Initial hacking around with universal tile syntax including
- user of different fonts and colors for text
- use of different colors/borders for certain nodes
- addition/replacement of more user friendly 'noise' words
more to come"

3618NixFullCopy-tk -- Ted Kaehler -- 16 February 2001
Removes #fullCopy from the system.
	When a button is being copied repeatedly to make a button row, it is OK just to use Morph>>copy.  It has been strengthened.
	Other callers now use veryDeepCopy.
	To create a sibling instance of a Player, a new method has been added: Object>>veryDeepCopyWithSiblingOf:.
	Duplicating scripts without duplicating players works using a normal veryDeepCopy."

3619suntax2-raa -- Bob Arning -- 16 February 2001
Added a few more controls for tweaking appearance in universal scriptors
- one toggles between alans experimental and roughly what existed before
- one allows altering the size of various (at this moment - 1) spacing components for tighter or wider look"

3620superSwikiFix-raa -- Bob Arning -- 16 February 2001
Fixes two occasional bug in talking to a SuperSwiki:
- when given a bogus url
- then response contained no headers
- also took the BOB out of the name ;-)"

3621NoCharsInSeg-tk -- Ted Kaehler -- 16 February 2001
Forbids Characters from getting into the list of objects for an exported ImageSegment.  The characters end up in outPointers where they are fixed up when they are read in.  The problem was that new Character instances were being created."

3622TrySqueakOrgFirst

3623suntax3-raa -- Bob Arning -- 16 February 2001
adds some <self> variants to universal tiles. browse the method SyntaxMorph>>wordyTestMethod and get a tile scriptor for it to see an example of how behind-the-scenes source becomes pretty tiles."

3624fullCopyAftermath-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 16 February 2001
Minor follow-on to the nixFullCopy:
- Put in a backstop fullCopy which forwards to veryDeepCopy.
- Fixes addProjectNavigationButtonsTo:, whose buttons were mildly wrong after the nexFullCopy changes"

3625fileListMenu-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 16 February 2001
Allows shift-yellow-click in the file-list pane of a File browser to bring up the full list of options immediately"

3626prefAnnoyances-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 17 February 2001
Improves the centering in the help pane of the preferences panel, and eliminates the 'jumping' effect when the mouse first goes over the type-in pane of the help pane"

3627simplerFind-raa -- Bob Arning -- 17 February 2001
Default actions for Find and Publish made simpler. The original versions (more directories) are in the popup menus under the buttons."

3628ClearPenTrails-ar

3629MacVMUpdates3-0-6JMM -- johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com -- 16 February 2001
3.0.6 Mac VM support code changes"

3630SoundRecorderPrim-tpr -- tim at sumeru.stanford.edu -- 15 February 2001
Just as with the SoundPlayer, an attempt to stop recording sounds should not cause a notifier if there is no SoundPlugin"

3631ProcessBrowserFixes-nk -- Ned Konz -- 16 February 2001
A couple of fixes for Squeak 3.0Gamma:
* Does not crash if no MVC ScheduledControllers,
  which is the case out of the box
* Traps errors getting method text
* Identifies the SoundPlayer playerProcess, and
  does not allow it to be stopped or debugged
* Recovers more gracefully when there are problems
  identifying well-known processes

3632CipherPanelFix-nk -- Ned Konz -- 16 February 2001
Fixes walkback when you cancel when adding a new cipher text."

3633ClassCommentFix-JW

3634DebuggerWhereFix-nk

3635FastDragZOrderFix-nk -- Ned Konz -- 16 February 2001
This makes the fast dragging of SystemWindows
equivalent to the non-fast dragging in that it makes sure
the window is at the top of the Z-order after the drag.
Without this fix, the window may be slid 'under' the
last morph picked up and moved by the hand.

3636FasterAddPrefs-dew -- Doug Way -- 17 February 2001
Speeds up the adding of new preferences by a factor of about 25.  At some point in 2.9alpha this became considerably slower than it was in 2.8, because Symbol>>hash is slower."