Native GUI Squeak?

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Sat Feb 17 19:28:07 UTC 2001

"Jochen F. Rick" wrote:
> Any non-specialized interface that spends too much time trying to
> replace written language as the primary means of interaction is bound for
> failure.

Most stuff I do in life are either learned by example or by being told
how to do
it. Like cutting bread and putting on clothes :-)
I know that a big barrier for most people is when doing stuff
that require reading a manual. Like setting the VCR to record at a
certain time.
A good GUI should help with consistency, intuition and being very
tolerant
of different user styles. Take for a very simplified example: pen and
paper.
Once the concept is grasped you expect every pen and paper to behave the
same way.
If it does not you usually throw out the pen or the paper and find a new one.
But there are many variables to consider to make a GUI.
What will the user use the system for ? How much of the available
information do he want to know ?
I find most of the GUI stuff in Squeak quite good for what I do today,
and the level
I'm doing it, like creating classes and browsing the image. But to bring
it to the next level
is the hard part. Lets face it, most people will never learn Smalltalk.
It's to advanced and to complex for most people to digest and use.
But it's a great and I think quite essential stepping stone for what
ever the next advance is.

Karl