[ENH][VM][UNIX]generalized async IO

Jay Carlson nop at nop.com
Fri Feb 2 12:28:40 UTC 2001

sr at evolgo.de [mailto:sr at evolgo.de] writes:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, David T. Lewis wrote:
> >
> > > I would love to see this included in the Unix VM distribution. Ian?
> >
> > Exactly. Where's Ian?
>
> You could mail to him personally at
> 	Ian.Piumarta at inria.fr
> .
> Personally I have the impression that Ian doesn't read and
> communicates with
> this mailing list continuously.

I don't continuously read this mailing list either, so if you're really
asking about the Helio port or BDF fonts, you'd better make sure my name is
in the Cc: or To: fields.... :-)

> But he is responsible for the Unix VM distribution though.
>
> This seems to be a problem...
>
> > How about releasing 2.8? How about taking the stuff
> > to CVS now?
>
> To sucessfully use CVS as a system for *collaborative* work regarding Unix
> VM,
> there has to be *motivation* of the mostly important person here (Ian) to
> work *together*!

Linus doesn't use CVS for the Linux kernel source.  The Linux/MIPS project
takes the source releases from kernel.org and imports them as a vendor
branch into CVS, and then does their work on that CVS server.  When a new
upstream kernel is released, they repeat the vendor branch merge.

Then, Linux VR CVS treats the Linux/MIPS source as a vendor branch....

I guess what I'm saying is: you don't need the cooperation of the primary
distributor of a package in order to do useful work on it with CVS.  You can
just send cvs diffs for the changes you've made to the author, and then she
can merge them.

This doesn't help if the author isn't interested in merging (your) outside
changes.  But then you're faced with the normal choice of "fork or suck it
up".

Jay