Project layout

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at disney.com
Tue Feb 27 12:16:25 UTC 2001

Right you are. Lot's of pixels are nice to have, and so is a
phyically big display.

Here we were talking about the minimal criterial to do scaling, pdf,
readable fonts, etc., and here the pitch plus a few other things is
what matters in order not to see artifacts. A display that would be
the equivalent of two facing 10" high pages would indeed be about 4M
pixels which is the count that Lex mentioned. But most paper notepads
or xeroxed papers are 8.5*11 with not all the boundary pixels used,
so my calculation covers this physical size.

BTW, in the late sixties we were able to compute pretty accurately
that the proposed  Dynabook (which was about 9*12), which employed
its lower quarter with a low travel keyboard and had a squarish
display, needed about 1M pixels in order to simulate paper well
enough for readability, drawing, and capacity.

Cheers,

Alan

------