Squeak under MacOS X

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Tue Jan 2 17:37:30 UTC 2001

> From: "Roger Vossler" <rvossler at uswest.net>
>
> Howdy,
>     Does Squeak 2.8 or 2.9 run OK under the Classic environment
> of MacOS X (PB at this point). Or, has it been Carbonized? Any
> plans for a natice Cocoa implementation? Thanks for any info?

In addition to the Classic + Carbon versions, there is a Cocoa
implementation maintained by myself, available from

	http://www.metaobject.com/downloads/Squeak/

I spent some time over the holidays giving this VM a major overhaul,
and will be posting an update as soon as we have completed the
switch-over of our web-server to a new machine.

This overhaul fixes some bugs with modifiers keys not working
properly and the cursor-image changes not showing up, as well as
improving display speed somewhat.  However, display speed is still
less than stellar, due in large part to Quartz simply not being
optimized yet.  I expect this to improve for GM, and am also
exploring alternatives such as the direct-access APIs as well as
OpenGL.

The Squeak VM is now encapsulated in an Objective-C object, class
SqueakInterpreter.  This object provides an API for access to Squeak,
as well as I/O services for the Squeak VM.  This encapsulation as
well as the fact that both the generated code and the Objective-C
cover reside in the Squeak framework mean that it is now fairly easy
to include a Squeak interpreter in your custom application.  The
Squeak.app itself, for example, is just a fairly thin wrapper that
manipulates the SqueakInterpreter object from the framework
(exception:  the display code, but that will probably be moved to a
SqueakUI framework soon).

To run a Squeak interpreter with an image:

	id interpreter = [SqueakInterpreter interpreter];
	[interpreter readImageFile: @"great.image" withHeapSize: 64
* 1024 * 1024];
	[interpreter startInterpreter];
or
	[interpreter startInterpreterInSeparateThread];

That would be a headless interpreter, and due to all the global
variables in the generated code, you can only run a single (shared)
instance at a time.  One solution to that problem is to generate the
interpreter as an Objective-C class/object instead, turning the
current global variables into instance variables of the object.  The
Objective-C generator code I've started working on again now
generates a compilable Interpreter class (subclass of ObjectMemory),
and I am fairly sure that I am not too far away from a runnable
version.  At that point, I will be able to eliminate that pesky C
glue code, and have the interpreter send messages to its VM.

Another one of the next steps will be a really simple and somewhat
restricted call-in facility to Squeak based on the event mechanism.
That together with the (separate) call-out facility of the
Objective-C bridge should be enough to at the very least experiment
with integrating Squeak and Cocoa.

Marcel