Squeak under MacOS X

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Tue Jan 2 17:43:53 UTC 2001

> From: Henrik Gedenryd <Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se>

> all versions should run fine under classic, mine runs only a
couple of %
> slower than on the old Mac OS. Marcel Weiher has a Cocoa port (a
work in
> progress), which runs at about 2/3 the speed of the one under
Classic. It is
> widely believed to be much the result of gcc generating poorer
code than
> CodeWarrior.

Yes, I believe that's a large part of the difference in bytecode
speed.  Additional factors might be the PPC-patch that seems to be
applied to the (Classic) Mac version ( Interpreter>>patchInterp: ).
In addition, I also do not apply the generic GNU-patch, because that
didn't seem to make a difference in testing a while ago.  Both of
these could potentially be updated.

Overall responsiveness is probably hampered much more by the fact
that Quartz is still very, very slow in the Public Beta.  However,
all this pales compared to the sluggishness I currently encounter due
to event-problems, but those don't relly, seem to be VM-related.

Marcel