[ENH][Incomplete] An alternate UI Look (was Re: Better SqueakUIs, "Skin Clicks" ?)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Mon Jan 15 18:34:38 UTC 2001

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Doug Way wrote:
>
> > Anyway, enjoy.  Comments and constructive criticism are welcome.
>
> Yes, that looks good. What stands out, though, are the scroll bars. Could
> you try giving them the same color? IMO this looks better - see this old
> picture:
>         http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~bert/squeak/fur/fur_prealpha.gif

Yeah, for some unknown reason the blueish scrollbars have never bothered
me.  But on the other hand, there's not really any good reason for them
to be always blue.

I guess an obvious possibility would be to make the scrollbar background
color similar to the color of the titlebar (when the window is topmost),
or something close to that.  I'll try a few variations.

(Although in some ways maybe I like the contrast the blue scrollbars
give?  Perhaps the scrollbars being the same color as the window would
make it look too monochromatic.  Who knows? :)  It's worth a try,
though.  Also, you may notice that the (topmost) titlebar color is
different than the list-item highlight color (e.g. in a browser list).
I originally tried making them the same color to make things more
consistent, but it looked surprising ugly.)

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com