Curly Braces?

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Jan 11 10:10:33 UTC 2001

Hi dan

Thanks to have remove this ugly stuff!!

> Yes.  I took out structure assignment between 2.6 and 2.7.
>
> It was essentially never used and, when used, could be really confusing, as
in...

> 	{a. {b. c}. e. f} := thingPassedFromElsewhere.
>
> It seemed to me that when you're willing to take this much trouble to work
with a bundle, it must be time to use an object.

> FYI, this form had not compiled since somewhere between 1.16 and 1.19 due to
an interaction with the check for uninitialized variables.  There was not a peep
from the mail list about this feature being broken then or missing now until
your message.

> The other uses of {} as an array constructor seemed to be carrying their
weight, so I left them in, and made them more efficient in both speed and stack
use.

> We need to amend the Swiki (can you send the page refs?).  Thanks for pointing
this out.

> 	- Dan
>
> PS:  If you are seriously interested, I just checked that this form did work
completely in 1.16, and it works in 2.6 if you proceed through the compiler
complaints.

Stephane DUCASSE (ducasse at iam.unibe.ch) http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/

University of Bern, Institut fuer informatik and Mathematik
IAM-SCG, 10 neubruckstrasse, CH-3012 Bern, Switzerland.