does the APSL update help Squeak?

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Sat Jan 6 19:21:45 UTC 2001

On 5 Jan 2001, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Aaron> On 5 Jan 2001, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> >> New version of APSL at http://www.opensource.apple.com/apsl/
>
> Aaron> The APSL doesn't govern Squeak, and AFAIK only does Darwin and
> Aaron> QuickTime Streaming Server.
>
> Aaron> Squeak's license can be found at <http://www.squeak.org/license.html>.
>
> But can the "powers that be" relicense Squeak under the revised APSL?
>
> I don't know whether that would be (a) possible, or (b) a good thing,
> hence the first posting...

Apple doesn't own Squeak anymore, so I doubt it.  It seems to me that
Disney lets SqC do more or less what they want, so I don't expect that
they'd be forcing a relicense to the APSL, or even some APSL which
replaced all occurances of "Apple" to "Disney."

Aaron

Aaron Reichow                   :: "In essence, Smalltalk is a programming
Twin Ports ACM Vice President   ::  language focused on human beings rather
http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/ ::  than the computer." - Alan Knight