Color Map flashing on Unix VM

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Mon Jan 29 11:28:48 UTC 2001

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, William Barnett-Lewis wrote:

> Just installed Squeak 2.7 on my Sun IPX under NetBSD 1.5. It has the
> standard 8bit GX framebuffer installed with a greyscale monitor
> attached. On startup and whenever I try to do anything, I get a very bad
> level of color map flashing.

What kind of flashing do you experience? It's normal that Squeak installs
its own color map when the mouse enters the window. As long as you do not
move the mouse outside, there should be no flashing.

> I notice that, unlike the Mac VM, there is no option for 1,2, or 4 bit
> color. Is this something that can be compiled back in? Or perhaps
> there is some other work around?

It's just not yet implemented. I implemented support to display 1, 2, and
4 bpp on a 32 bpp OS window (see http://swiki.gsug.org/sqfixes/1142.html).
To make that work in an 8 bpp OS window you would have to implement the
copy1To8, copy2To8 and copy4To8 functions just as I did with copy1To32,
copy2To32 and copy4To32 ...

Or you could implement 1/2/4 bpp OS surfaces which would maybe not require
color map switching ...

-- Bert