Changes acceptance and polling issues (was: Re: ConnectionQueue improvement (changes))

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Jan 24 00:35:11 UTC 2001

Peter Schuller wrote:

> > There really aren't any formal criteria.  Among the factors which
> > increase your chances are putting tags like [ENH] in the subject line,
> > and having people voice a positive response to your work.  It also
> > helps for the timing to be auspicious.
>
> Ok. I thought ENH (=ENHancement?) was reserved for "officiall" patches only :)
>
> So what happens with an ENH-prefix; is it taken as a request to include it
> in the official distribution?

Generally yes, although occasionally people will post enhancements which aren't necessarily intended to be included in the official distribution (because it's too platform-specific, or whatever), but they just want to share it with everyone.

> If so, how/when/if is it handled in terms of
> actually *getting* it into the official distribution (or rejecting it)? I
> haven't seen much of that kind of "administrivia" on the list.

The "official" administrivia for getting fixes and enhancements submitted for inclusion in base Squeak is always on the Squeak Swiki ( http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak ) under the "Bugs and Fixes" link.  Basically, post to the list with the proper prefix, and also email the post to squeak at 3plus4.de (Stefan M.A.), who is the current collector of fixes/enhancements.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com