Swiki questions/suggestions

Jochen F. Rick nadja at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jan 26 16:33:16 UTC 2001

> I just had a chat with a PHD-er from the psychology faculty of the Uni of
> Groningen Holland.  He was interested in using Swiki to publish and organize
> their research projects on the net.

Cool

> I showed him how to use and set up a swiki. After the demo he saw for their
> situation some limitations and gave some interesting suggestions:
> a. What if you could put in xml like tags so we can have a better search
> search more effectively.

The Swiki search engine is pretty bad. I don't think anyone is working on
making a better one though.

> b. What if the edit-page has buttons to have an texteditor in a wysiwyg
> style. Psychology students are a bit afraid of bare html editors. I have
> seen this wysiwyg button option in a custom swiki during the demo of
> NetUnify at OOPSLA'00.

It's not bare HTML. Swiki has its own mark-up. You can think of it more
like e-mail if you want. I'm not a big fan of wysiwyg, especially on the
net, so I am not going to be creating this.

> There are already so many swikis in use within universities, did one of them
> already implement these functionalities?

Nope.

> Unfortunately, I'm only able to forward these suggestions and not to
> implement them, cause of priority list limitations.

Thanks for the suggestions though. You may want to join the PWS list,
where we discuss Swikis. To subscribe, send a message to
majordomo at cc.gatech.edu. In the body, put "subscribe pws".

Peace and Luck!

Je77