More on Squeak installation

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Wed Jan 3 11:25:48 UTC 2001

Hello,

I am now attempting to re-install Squeak from scratch again. And I want the
latest version. I do have a working 2.9, but it's ugly (2.7 VM and 2.9
image/changes forced upon the VM on start-up).

So I got the 2.8 VM. I still cannot find a 2.9 VM, even in source form. The
2.9 directory (ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/2.9_alpha/) only
contains the changes/image files. I got the latest version
(ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/2.9_alpha/Squeak2.9a-3125.tar.gz).

I got the 2.8 image and changes, because the 2.8 VM is set to look for these
(I don't want to do any ugly work-arounds here, like telling squeak manually
to use the 2.9 stuff).

I installed the 2.8 binary and changes/image using the INSTALL script (that
is, in the standard locations). I now have a nice official 2.8 release
working.

Is there now a way to file in the post-2.8 changes to my image? The 2.9
changes file contains ALL changes since V2. So they would duplicate the 2.8
changes. Is there an archive of all .cs additions perhaps? If so, I should
be able to identify what's post-2.8.

I'm still not quite sure about the 2.9 image. The fresh 2.8 install's
welcome message says "Squeak 2.8". Yet, using the same squeak binary and
giving it the 2.9 image/changes, it says "Squeak 2.7". So it appears that 2.9 is not
a child (when looking at the changes structure as a tree) of 2.8, but was
rather forked *before* the advent of 2.8[1]. If so, it would imply there is no
safe way of applying post-2.8 changes to a 2.8 image, because the only
version of 2.9 available is a child of a pre-2.8 changes set. I am convinced
this is not the case however; I just don't know what *is* the case...

I'm thoroughly confused...

Thanks,

[1] Unless someone changed the welcome phrase *back* to "welcome to squeak
2.7" in making 2.9 changes to the 2.8 base. I find this unlikely...

PGP userID: 0x5584BD98 or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrival: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.infidyne.com
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://scode.infidyne.com