Squeak as an NT service

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Jan 26 08:36:45 UTC 2001

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Raab, Andreas wrote:

> Tim,
>
> > Is it possible to interact with Squeak running as a service?
>
> As I said in my previous post you cannot interact (graphically) with
> Squeak when it's running as a service. While this may be theoretically
> possible it would also imply that everyone who is logged on could do
> whatever she wants with Squeak and that is most certainly not what you
> want. For applying updates/patches etc. I'd rather suggest that you
> stop the service, then run the image interactively, save it, and start
> the service again.

How about running a Nebraska server in the image, maybe with added
password protection for security?

I personally run my Swikis under VNC (http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/)
in Linux, which allows you to do exactly this - bringing up the window
only if needed. Someone started to implement VNC's RFB protocol in Squeak
so it would work with Windows, too. Any progress here?

-- Bert