Symbolics Genera programming environment for Squeak?

Brian Rice water at tscnet.com
Mon Jan 15 17:55:09 UTC 2001

Hi Squeakers,
Is there an interest in this? I have recently acquired a MacIvory
machine running Symbolics Lisp. It has a fantastic interactive
listener, which is a lot more palpably usable than Squeak's
Workspaces.

However, although I've been using Squeak for a while, the panoply of
useful key-bindings has eluded me, so I'm not sure I can enumerate
what features in Squeak do and do not compare to the Genera
environment (which is, to my knowledge, the absolute best
command-line environment I have seen, bar none).

What do you think? This could be an interesting way to expand Squeak
as a development environment and as a hosted OS.

Thanks in advance,
~