Final call for 2.9 updates

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Sat Jan 27 05:02:10 UTC 2001

Peter Schuller wrote:

> >         I'll appreciate Whisker by Doug Way be in the standard image....  :)
>
> And how about the look and feel by said person? The first thing I hear from
> people after convincing them to try Squeak is complaints on how old the GUI
> looks. First-impressions are everything :)

Sorry that I haven't been able to work on the look & feel changeset in the last week or so, I've been busy finishing up a new Whisker release for the Squeak CD.

(Actually, my changeset was really just a new "look", the "feel" is basically unchanged.)

I'm not sure if a new look changeset necessarily has to be in the 2.9 release in the next week.  However, I think it would be very appropriate for a 3.0 release... a brand new look for a major release number increment.  (Especially if there's not a lot of substantive changes in 3.0, it would at least be nice to have something noticeable change.)  Along with that, I think it would be a GREAT opportunity to switch to having a Morphic project as the default startup project (still keeping MVC in the image, of course).  PLEASE? :)  I've argued before that it doesn't make any sense for Squeak to start up in MVC, since all of the recent SqC work has been in Morphic, half of the Preferences only apply to Morphic, the initial out-of-the-box MVC look is more off-putting, etc.

Anyway, I will get back to tinkering with the new look next week... at least the menus should be adjusted to fit the look, and maybe buttons too.  (Alternate looks from others would be welcome too, to compare and contrast, and borrow ideas from each other.)

It sounded like 2.9 would be released in a week or so (for the Squeak CD), but what was the approximate timeframe for releasing 3.0?  It sounded like it would be relatively soon... would that be a few weeks?  A few months?

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com