Squeak 2.9 on ARM with optimizations

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Jan 3 00:15:27 UTC 2001

Kevin Fisher <kgf at golden.net> is widely believed to have written:

> Just a quick follow-up to the earlier discussion about compiling Squeak on ARM
> with optimizations....
>
> I went back and rebuilt the VM, omitting optimizations for the module that
> causes the problems with GCC-ARM (SoundCodecPlugin.c).  When I try to start an
> image with the resulting VM however, I get an illegal instruction and it dies.
This is exactly the sort of thing I get on my NetWinder with their
latest (at least, latest as of last May or so) linux release. Crai
seemed to be able to get a working VM on his NW though, but we haven't
had any time to do a comparison between the machines to see what the
problem might be. I used to be able to make working Squeaks before
upgrading to that latest release!

I heard a mention that the NW VM can run on linux'd iPaqs; so you might
try
http://netjam.org/self/projects/smalltalk/executables/squeak-2-9-a-netwi
nder.zip just maybe?

tim
PS If you have any knowledge of driving gdb (indeed if it works on iPaq)
see if you can work out where the problem happened. I'm reasonably sure
it is something to do with floating point emulation.

Use free-form input where possible.