Color Map flashing on Unix VM

William Barnett-Lewis wlewis at mailbag.com
Mon Jan 29 13:15:52 UTC 2001

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, William Barnett-Lewis wrote:
>
> > Just installed Squeak 2.7 on my Sun IPX under NetBSD 1.5. It has the
> > standard 8bit GX framebuffer installed with a greyscale monitor
> > attached. On startup and whenever I try to do anything, I get a very bad
> > level of color map flashing.
>
> What kind of flashing do you experience? It's normal that Squeak installs
> its own color map when the mouse enters the window. As long as you do not
> move the mouse outside, there should be no flashing.

If that were all, I'd understand it. No, this flashing happens on any
mouse movement or clicks. I even put squeak into full screen mode and
the flashing still occurs on every click.

> > I notice that, unlike the Mac VM, there is no option for 1,2, or 4 bit
> > color. Is this something that can be compiled back in? Or perhaps
> > there is some other work around?
>
> It's just not yet implemented. I implemented support to display 1, 2, and
> 4 bpp on a 32 bpp OS window (see http://swiki.gsug.org/sqfixes/1142.html).
> To make that work in an 8 bpp OS window you would have to implement the
> copy1To8, copy2To8 and copy4To8 functions just as I did with copy1To32,
> copy2To32 and copy4To32 ...

I'll have to look at your code later today and see.

> Or you could implement 1/2/4 bpp OS surfaces which would maybe not require
> color map switching ...
>
> -- Bert

Thanks for the information.

William

--
You better watch out, what you wish for;
It better be worth it, so much to die for.