Celeste poll

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Sun Jan 21 19:48:51 UTC 2001

"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
[poll!]

> 1. How much do you use Celeste?
It's my exclusive mail client.

> 2. What do you think of showing a maximum of 200 (or whatever) messages
> at a time?
It's a kludge, but -
A. It's faster than showing 10,000 (even after my image now takes no
time to update the morph, creating the toc text entries still takes
time. If anyone knows any good OO patterns for lazy evaluation, I'm game
to try and refactor this).
B. I might wish to scan 200 headlines, but there's very little I'd want
to do with 10,000 except filter them.
C. What were our alternatives again?

> 3. What do you think of the status line saying "Showing X of Y messages
> in Z"?
It's not useful enough that I would bother to fix a couple of bugs I
occaisonally note in it.

> 4. What do you think of the "custom filter move" function, where you
> click and your message goes to an appropriate category automatically?
I like it, use it all the time, though I often use the "custom filter"
feature first to see what exactly it would move. Got bitten by it moving
too much to the wrong place a couple of times, I adapted (though
adapting the code may be wiser).

> 5. What do you think of the auto-selection of custom menus, where you
> click "custom" and it will try to pick an appropriate filter depending
> on what message is selected?
Again, I find it useful, though there are times when it's annoying to
have to deselect (using the mouse) the current message, in order to get
the full list.

Anyway, though most or all of these changes are my (dubious?)
contibutions, I've come to see that some might be a reasonable tradeoff
for me, and an unreasonable one for newbie (or just people with
different taste). So I'm rather curious how many people care either way
and which they do...

Daniel