Plugin Security (Was Re: How do I create a SqueakPlugin.imagefrom a 2.9a ?)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Jan 24 19:13:44 UTC 2001

>On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>>  >You completely disallow it? How about only disallowing it when the
>>  >original squeaklet was not a "file:"-URL?
>>
>>  We disallow the ability for a Smalltalk application to use the
>>  browser interface to parse a file: URL. There is a interface in the
>>  Smalltalk code that lets you give a URL to the browser and fetch back
>>  the stream of data, or post a stream of data to the supplied URL.
>
>I know, I implemented that stuff for Unix ;-)
>
>My point is, when I locally test my plugin I may want to use "file:" URLs.
>OTOH, it may well work when I use relative URLs only ... I'll put
>disabling file: URLs onto my "to do" list, then. Do you fail silently or
>display a notifier?
>
>-- Bert

The macintosh code does
	interpreterProxy->success(AbortIfFileURL(url));
	if (interpreterProxy->failed()) {
		return null;
	}

Then it's up to the Smalltalk code to catch and handle the primitive
failure, can't say I looked to see what it does...
Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6