[ENH] VMMaker; build source code trees for any platform on any platform

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Jan 6 14:12:17 UTC 2001

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 04:09:53PM -0800, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> I've just completed a reasonable v1.0 release of a VM maker tool. It
> builds the source tree for any platform, with any combination of
> internal/external/not-there plugins.

I've only taken a quick first look, but this looks great. Thank you!

Quoted from the change set preamble:
> A really nice exercise would be to then use the OSProcess code to create
> the vm from the generated code.

FWIW, you can do "UnixProcess makeVmIn: '/some/directory/location/'"
to do a VM build and restart the image if the build is successful. This
relies entirely on the external make program and C compiler, although
a Squeak replacement for make might be an interesting exercise in
its own right.

I'm afraid I don't know enough to be able to add the AcornProcess>>makeVmIn:
support, which is probably the other important platform to support right
now. Is there a book I could read that would explain enough about the
Acorn to put the basics in place?  I will not have access to a machine
or compiler, but I might be able to do enough to jump start the work
for someone who does.

Dave