Some Self ideas

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Thu Jan 18 04:17:26 UTC 2001

Diego Gomez Deck <DiegoGomezDeck at ConsultAr.com> suggested:
    Object>>value
	^ self

Please, don't anybody do this.  It seems quite common for beginners,
used to other languages, to write
	cond ifTrue: exp1 ifFalse: exp2
when they really mean
	cond ifTrue: [exp1] ifFalse: [exp2].

The sooner this is rejected, the sooner they understand how ifTrue:ifFalse:
is supposed to work.

	The other message is:

	Object>>, anObject
		^ OrderedCollection with:self with:anObject

IMHO, it is helpful if each message means one thing.
If "a , b" always means "make a new sequence with the elements of a followed
by the elements of b", I can cope.  But if it means "make a new sequence
(either with a as an element or the elements of a as elements) followed by
the elements of b", I'll get lost.  The more complicated the description
of a method, the harder it is to use.