Plugin Security (Was Re: How do I create a SqueakPlugin.image from a 2.9a ?)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Jan 23 04:36:16 UTC 2001

Luciano Notarfrancesco <lnotarfrancesco at yahoo.com> is widely believed to have written:

> And there might be other ways to do this
> too... like replacing a CompiledMethod by a primitive
> method with primitive 117 (externalCall) and put in
> the first literal an array like described in
> Interpreter|primitiveExternalCall but with the
> appropiate address in the last position. I'm not sure
> this will work... I never tryed it.
With effort you could certainly do some nasty things this way. I'm
looking into making plugins have an explicit list of allowed functions
as a way to avoid deliberate or accidental problems of this sort; it's
something AndreasR sugested a while ago.

tim
Useful random insult:- He hasn't a single redeeming vice.  -- Oscar Wilde