[Q] some questions in Squeak(Nebraska)

Gert Kok qawaly at chello.nl
Thu Jan 25 09:34:46 UTC 2001

Jiyun Kaneta said at $BÃ3(Be: [Q] some questions in Squeak(Nebraska)$BÅ(B
[2001/01/25 08:28]
For the functions you describe, some central server is needed that knows
which Nebraska-servers are online and want to give access to others.

Chat-programs tell to a chat-server that they want to take part in
discussions. These servers manage the list of active participants (and of
course discussion channels). This list-managing function is not built into
Nebraska.

One solution would be to write a program for this function and install it
on a central server. Nebraska-servers should tell 'central' that they are
active. Clients could contact 'central'

As IRC processing is already available in Squeak, I think it is possible to
let Nebraska-servers communicate by an IRC channel. That way, N-servers
could find out which are on line. After IRC is used to find out with whom
to communicate, further communication could be in the normal way.

Anyhow, it is not possible to find a solution without some programming.

When 'public' is invited to participate in visual group working, 'noisy'
activity can become much more troublesome than in IRC. In IRC, everybody
can read the history because it is local. It is possible not to read
disturbing messages. With a visual chat, the drawingboard is the history.
If somebody disturbs it,  both the result as the history are gone. So more
thinking about granting accessrights is necessary.

Gert