Supporting newish input devices

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Tue Jul 3 10:37:52 UTC 2001

On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, John Kozak wrote:

>  wacom tablet.  By default, this acts as another way to move the
>   mouse cursor, but can be used as a another, independent, pointing
>   device.  I'd like to have two separate Hands, the pen one having
>   genie on and the mouse one not.

I had this running, under Linux, in Squeak 2.8:

* Implemented the tablet primitives in TabletJoystickPlugin,
  see InputSensor>>#primTabletRead: and tablet examples in class Pen
  which make use of pressure
* Implemented a class TabletHandMorph that is controlled by those tablet
  primitives
* Made a subclass of this that actually draws a pen with shadow that is
  tilted correctly - this looks cool!
* Fixed some issues with displaying multiple hands

With this, I have four hands running simultaneously (main pointer, wacom
mouse, wacom stylus, wacom erazer). There is no new Eventtype, rather, the
TabletHandMorph creates fake mouse events by polling Sensor primTabletRead.

So all you need to do is implement the tablet prims for Windows, then my
code should run (maybe with minor changes) in newer images.

-- Bert