OT: Invention v. Innovation

Christopher Sawtell csawtell at xtra.co.nz
Mon Jul 2 09:30:48 UTC 2001

"Andrew C. Greenberg" wrote:

> Agreed as to the conclusion.  Now, I need to prove (or strongly
> motivate) it.  So that a really smart, but technically or economically a
> layperson, could understand.
>
> In this case, the stakes are actually pretty high.  (The highest,
> actually.)  Thus, I ask my friends and colleagues:
>
> Who says so?  and why?
>
> Your advices would be greatly appreciated.
>
> On Monday, July 2, 2001, at 12:54 AM, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
>
> >       Forgive me, but I am in need of some solid authority and references
> >       relating the importance of incremental invention or innovation, as
> >       compared to pioneering and revolutionary invention.  In particular, is
> >       there any consensus among authorities regarding the relative
> > virtues of
> >       the two forms of creativity or their interactions?
> >
> > This sound a lot like "which half of a pair of scissors in more
> > important?"
> > Both are necessary.

Have a look at some of these:-

http://www.google.com/search?q=James+Burke&chk=on

in particular

http://smithsonianassociates.si.edu/tapes/burke.htm

and listen to the program.

All this gentleman's output will be of interest to you, and while not
presented in the normal scientific mode; it is, imho,  none the less
authoritative.

--
Sincerely etc.,

 NAME       Christopher Sawtell
 CELL PHONE 021 257 4451
 ICQ UIN    45863470
 EMAIL      csawtell @ xtra . co . nz
 CNOTES
ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/C/tutorials/sawtell_C.tar.gz

 -->> Please refrain from using HTML or WORD attachments in e-mails to
me <<--