READ THIS IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY YOU ARE ON THIS LIST

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Jul 6 06:31:54 UTC 2001

[and please, please, PLEASE - reply to me not to the mailing list on this -
let's get back on topic!]

A couple of days ago, we transferred the Squeak mailing list from the address
'squeak at cs.uiuc.edu' to 'squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org'. This means
that if you missed the announcement, you may have had the idea that you were
involuntarily subscribed to a new mailing list, but in fact your subscription
was just moved. Therefore, if you were subscribed to 'squeak at cs.uiuc.edu' you
don't need to do anything.

It seems that two categories of people are not happy with the move:
- People who were subscribed to the Squeak Announce list accidentally have
  been subscribed to the list as well. This was a <expletive deleted>-up from
  our side, and we apologize for that. See below for instructions how to get
  rid of us.
- The original list was a mess, even with blocks of text between mail
  addresses, etcetera, so it may very well be that old subscriber addresses
  were hidden inside these blocks of text (and thus ignored on the old system
  because the result was something not recognizable as a valid mail address).
  Presumably, the cleanup procedure that ran over the list brought these
  addresses back to light and thus caused their re-subscription.

If you are subscribed and you don't want to, don't start complaining on the
list about spammers, stupid list admins, etcetera. Remember, this is a
volunteer organization, the three people involved live in three countries and
two timezones and have busy day-time jobs - as one of the culprits I am
actually surprised that the vast majority of the move procedure (of well over
1,000 addresses) went so well. All we can do is apologize and work hard to
make sure that people who are complain are removed as quickly as possible.

To unsubscribe from the mailing list, all you need to do is visit the list
information page and follow instructions. Noel Bergman posted instructions on
this, I'll repeat them here:

        2. Enter the e-mail address at which you are receiving the list
        3. Click "Edit Options"
        4. Click "Email My Password to Me"
        5. Wait for the E-mail
        7. Enter the password received
        8. Click Unsubscribe

Please have mercy on our spare time - try to follow these instructions, and
only if it doesn't work, mail us (sq-admin at lists.squeakfoundation.org) with a
request to remove your mail address manually.

We thank you for your cooperation.

The SqueakFoundation Admins.