Seeking advice: Version for creating plugins?

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 9 17:09:15 UTC 2001

I re-downloaded the plugins last week, and when I ran them the first
time, they asked me: "Updates available. Download?" (or words to that
effect), which I did.  It seems that Michael has an update mechanism
implemented, which doesn't fix the obsolescence problem, but does fix
the re-download problem (barring VM changes).

Mark

>Michael Rueger <m.rueger at acm.org> wrote:
> > Mark Guzdial wrote:
> > > What version of Squeak are people using for creating projects that
> > > will run with the plugin?  Is the plugin more like Squeak 3.0 or more
> > > like Squeak 3.1alpha?  I asked for "Smalltalk version" in the plugin,
> > > and it replies "Squeakland-3.1.3905" which makes me think that it's
> > > 3.1 up to changeset 3905 -- is that about right?  Is it safest to use
> > > 3.0 or 3.1?
> >
> > The safest is to use the Squeakland image :-)
> > Seriously, it's safer to use 3.1.
> > I'll  put out a new batch of updates for the Squeakland image in the
> > next couple of days so it will catch up with th 3.1 image again.
> >

>This means people will need to download the plugin again, doesn't it?
>
>The lurking versioning problem is serious.  When versions mix on a
>SuperSwiki, media becomes difficult to access within months.  It seems
>that, whenever the Squeak project decides to settle down and seriously
>start growing a big collection of active essays, it will be necessary to
>fix the version of Squeak they are written in.
>
>It is possible in principle to make multiple versions interact nicely,
>but even there it will be much easier if the number of versions is small
>-- e.g., Squeak 3.0, Squeak 3.2, .... :)
>
>Lex Spoon

Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu